Saturday, December 7, 2013

Staying active without the gym


So I've lived in Texas for almost a year now. I first moved to the Dallas area for the first available job. When a job and an apartment became available in downtown Fort Worth (where the boyfriend works/lives) I jumped at the opportunity. Moving downtown and working within a mile from home made it possible to be more active by riding my bike or walking to work. Right before moving downtown, I bought my first bike. It was a used Trek that I got from an old coworker for a very small price tag. This was the best example of "you get what you pay for" because it didn't have disc brakes and the tires had dry rot. It wasn't the best but it did the job..... until it got stolen.

So unfortunately I've been driving to work for the last month, trying to figure out how I'm going to get a new bike. Anyone who spends time on the trails knows that a cheap bike from walmart won't cut it. Luckily, it close to Christmas and my mother offered money for mine and my boyfriend's christmas presents. All he wanted was for me to have another bike so we could hit the trails again. After much searching and researching on the internet we stumbled across the beauty you see in the picture. Its a GT  Karakoram mountain bike with 29" wheels. We were able to negotiate a decreased price that included the helmet. Of course the day after purchase we get nailed with an ice/sleet/snow storm.

By Monday I'll be riding to work again! Sometimes you've got to find a way to stay active when you don't have time for the gym. What do you do to stay active?

No comments:

Post a Comment