Thursday, December 19, 2013

Flexibility Part 1.

WARM UP
In the beginnings of my exercise science education, I worked as a research assistant mostly entering data. The first study that I was brought in on was a study based around the proper amount, or volume, of warm up to optimize flexibility and muscular strength endurance at the same time. We attempted 3 different protocols. 1) 5min jog only. 2) 5 minute jog plus a dynamic warm up lasting about 8 minutes. 3) 5 minute jog followed by a dynamic warm up at double the volume lasting about 13 minutes.
Option number 2 provided the best results. Each stretch should be held for just a brief moment, then alternate; 4 repetitions per side. The warm up stretches included:
  • Pull knee to chest
  • Alternating quad stretch
  • Leg Cradle
  • Lift Knee Up & Move Out to Side
  • Step & Kick
  • Lunge & Reach Upward
  • Lunge & Reach Inside Elbow to Heel
  • Lateral Lunge
  • High Knees (running)
  • Butt Kicks (running)
  • Power Skips
This warm up is of course optimal for a primarily lower body workout. (Stay tuned for an upper body warm up)
Proper warm up:
  • Increases the core temperature
  • Increases blood flow to the working muscles
  • Prepares the muscles for the movements that will be performed
  • Improves joint lubrication
  • Wakes up the central nervous system
  • Improves extensibility/flexibility of muscles
*Important note: Dynamic stretching prior to exercise and static stretching after. Static stretching prior to exercise puts the muscles at a mechanical disadvantage and increases risk of injury.

COOL DOWN
Cool-down stretching is like uncoiling a spring. When you're working out you're tightening up your muscles, essentially shortening them. Think of it as a spring coiling up tighter and tighter. If you don't straighten it back out, the muscles will pull on the bones/joints they are attached to and may lead to joint pain after a while.



1 comment:

  1. “When I was introduced to Mr. Lee Ben ( A Loan Officer), I was entering the market as a first time home buyer.My needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions, before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts, he was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward, I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process in a succinct yet thorough fashion. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories about the internet . I recommend A loan officer ben lee contact email: 247officedept@gmail.com & Whatsapp Number :+1-989-394-3740 to anyone looking for a loan in any market. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely.

    ReplyDelete